8.23.2018

Student Growth and Smart Goals


I don't know how your school works but at ours new teachers are evaluated once a year until they get tenure and then every other year after that. We also use the Charlotte Danielson rubrics. This is my year to be evaluated and I have two ideas that I need to flesh out for the student growth section.

The only tracking we've done this year is to separate the freshman class into higher and lower students. Which when there are only 7 lower, I think it would have been just as well to mix them with the others. But...not my decision.

Anyway, I basically want to compare their growth over the year and hopefully show more growth in the lower class than the larger. That one's pretty straightforward I guess. Although I hate that it's based only on EOCs but again...not something I can control.

The other one is lofty and maybe not possible. I'm trying out whiteboarding this year in Geometry only and I'd like to somehow measure something and look for growth. My principal doesn't want me to compare the results to last year because the students are different and it's comparing apples and oranges. I don't want to use a control group because when I want to try something new, I want to do it for everyone and also with four preps, I don't want to add extra prep.

I posed the question on Twitter and got these two responses:













Now I love a good survey and a good Google Form so this sounds so great. What else can I measure? Should I have students rate themselves 1-5 for each so I have actual numbers for comparison?

Better make a list:

  • Mathematical communicator
  • Fluid thinking
  • Confidence
  • Willingness to make mistakes while trying something new
  • Ability to follow directions
  • Willingness to work with someone new
  • Willingness to take instruction from someone
  • Ability to disagree with ideas without disagreeing with a person
  • Math ability
  • Interest in math
What other things would you expect whiteboarding and discovery learning to affect?

No comments:

Post a Comment