8.30.2014

#5Things My Career Bucket List



  1. I would love to be a math instructional coach, even just for my district with one elementary, one middle, and one high school math teacher. I see a lot of a value in noticing trends and implementing strategies district-wide.
  2. In the future I want to teach at the university level. I really hated my education program and left feeling very unprepared and it's supposed to be a good program. I only had two classes that I felt helped at all. I would love to basically take my blog to 4D and just help teachers learn how to teach and how to love teaching.
  3. I've always wanted to write a book and I sure don't know what else I would write about besides teaching. I imagine it as a book of stories with pictures included and downloadable activities and links to my blog.
  4. I want to be a National Board Certified Teacher. I would be the first teacher in the history of my school to accomplish it. Of course stupid Illinois had to take away the stipend. :( But the teachers I know through twitter and blogging that are NBCTs are some of the most reflective, thoughtful, thorough, and creative teachers I've ever seen.
  5. I want to be wealthy. I know it probably won't come through teaching but I just feel like it will happen some day, some way. I want to give back to my community and school. We are the poorest county in the entire state of Illinois. I would like to do things that other schools have, like 1:1 technology programs, new sports equipment/uniforms, a track and football field, pool, aerobics room, and senior class trips. I'd like to build a rec center in the community and have scholarships for students to go to college and for extras like dorm room supplies and a laptop. I just want to make life better for everyone around me.

What's on your bucket list?

4 comments:

  1. Great goals!! I am with you on 1-2-5, I tried 4, but it was the year I lost my best friend to breast cancer and my focus was elsewhere, now without the IL Stipend I decided not to do it. Districts are starting to hire instructional coaches because of the PD that teachers at all levels need to effectively implement the common core...keep your eyes open!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably true but I don't think I could ever leave my district.

      Delete
  2. Ahh it's so hard to pick just five!

    1) Get more of my students into teaching at my school after they graduate. A student I taught as a class of 2009 senior is now my colleague, and it's so awesome for the community to have him as a teacher and role model for younger kids.
    2) Work at a university to support/sustain students like those in my Boston public school in successfully graduating.
    3) Create some cool new elective classes (e.g., science of cooking) or totally shake up the class structure with interdisciplinary projects or a completely new thing.
    4) NBCT
    5) +1 to all of this. Soft spot for the track--been coaching a running club and having them run around the river or just in the city of Boston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schools would never have a basketball team without a court but somehow it's okay for track!

      Delete