8.30.2015

Ask BetterQs!

Questioning is one skill I pride myself on doing well in the classroom. I think it's a fairly easy skill to develop and at no cost to me. =)

Questioning is how I learn from others and how I learn about myself. I am very analytical and I am always asking myself questions to figure out why I feel, think, and act the way I do. Very meta, I know.

Since that skill is so embedded in me personally, it definitely comes out in the classroom. It's also my favorite thing to suggest to other teachers. Better questioning is one easy way to create depth in any lesson.

Some of my favorite questions are:
  • What do you notice?
  • What would happen if we changed this to.....?
  • What should we do next?
  • How can we start?
  • What type of answer do we expect to get?
  • How do you know that is the right answer?
  • How did you get that?
  • Why?
  • Can you explain?
  • Can you elaborate?
  • How do you picture this in your brain?

One goal I would like to work on this year is asking better questions by asking more open ended questions that promote more whole class discussion and debate.

If this resonates with you as well, I have a great resource to share with you!


@samjshah and @rdkpickle have created a collaborative space where we can both share and read about better questioning,

There's already quite a few posts and here is the first one from me!

Add it to your reader as a reminder to yourself to read, reflect, and continue working on your craft.

Be a betterT who asks #betterQs (check out our hashy)!

2 comments:

  1. I think I learn very similarly by questioning. I hope that with practice I will be able to integrate that more seamlessly into my teaching. How responsive are your students when you ask questions? Any tips on how to promote a less eager group of students to participate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few students who like to answer all the time.

      To get around it, I will ask students to agree or disagree with the first students who answer. If no one wants to answer I will stare awkwardly at them until someone does answer or I will just tell them I am waiting for someone to respond before we go on. Also I will say, Someone other than _______ needs to answer. Or I will ask things like why, how did you get that, how do you know, etc.

      Delete