6.01.2010

Breaking the Mold Summary

It's been a while since this meeting and since I blogged and so I confess, not a lot left to summarize. I promised I would post the Powerpoints for you to look through at your own leisure.

So the last thing I want to do is to post my favorite quotes from the Powerpoint and see if they stir up any conversation. A lot of this we rushed through at the meeting so I am taking straight from the Powerpoint without having any thoughts or discussion to really add to it.

Here is my hodge-podge:

"The most productive periods are those where the kids are so involved that they are surprised to learn that the period is already over." -Jim Burgett

Challenge them to become thinkers.

Push students to think and tolerate ambiguity.

Give students the big picture first. (How do we do that?)

Allow students time to write things down, then process. They can't do both at the same time.

Involve students in "discovering" properties and processes by staging tasks- don't tell them if they can find if for themselves.

Use writing as a tool to improve memory and learning.

If it does not make sense, they cannot remember it. 

Ok, so that's about it. I've pulled as much as I think  I can out of the conference, my notes, and their resources.

I did forget one activity in my last post that I think is a good one.

Sum Race. Each group gets three problems a, b, c. They each solve their own problem and then add the answers together. Take the sum to the teacher. If they are correct, they move on to the next set of problems. If not they try again and they can switch problems to help get the correct 'sum'. Obviously this couldn't work for every concept, but it would for quite a few.

Last but not least, as a reminder, here is the e-mail: pippenconsulting@aol.com

And ta-da, the Powerpoints:


1

2

Told you it wasn't least.

No comments:

Post a Comment