8.08.2014

Bell Ringers Remix

I'm modifying my bell ringer routine again this year. Surprise, surprise.

I am keeping mental math Monday because I loved it and it's already set up.

The rest I'm kind of copying of my friend Lisa's post and my friend Brooke's ideas smashed together with mine.

Here's the plan:

  • Monday- Mental Math Monday improves listening skills, memory, and number sense
  • Tuesday- Talking Points because students practicing listening to each other will seep into every lesson, every day. It can be used as a tool to develop their growth mindset and, bring out and clarify misconceptions.
  • Wednesday- Estimation low entry point, builds number sense & measurement
  • Thursday- Visual Patterns develop algebraic reasoning skills, applies to visual learners
  • Friday- My Favorite No error analysis, clarify misconceptions, share student work

I'm a little scared to do visual patterns but then again they don't have to know where I get the patterns from. So I have freedom to deviate if I don't know the answer either. =)

Here's the template:



I made it a pdf so it would be pretty with my fun fonts but it still isn't as pretty as the real thing. So just go ahead and download or get the Word file here.

And then students have the option for Friday letters!

Comments?

3 comments:

  1. I love the talking points! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these ideas! Thanks so much for sharing. Can you clarify a few things?
    1. For the Talking Points Tuesday, are the 3 rounds based on one talking point? I wasn't clear on how students are the answer on the sheet.
    2. For the Tough Patterns Thursday, do you have all the correct answers ready to share or just discuss what the students wrote? It looked like the website didn't have all the equation answers.
    3. I watched the video for My Favorite No and love the lesson! Do you collect their papers to have the class discussion?

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      1. Here is a link that explains talking points fully. http://cheesemonkeysf.blogspot.com/2014/07/tmc14-gwwg-talking-points-activity.html I updated the post to include it too.
      2. If you go to the contact tab on the website link, there is a form to fill out to get the answer key from the author. She is also @fawnpnguyen on twitter.
      3. Yes, collect the papers and sort out loud like she does in the video with a yes or no. Then if you notice, she rewrites the problem so no one can judge the handwriting. If you did this on Friday like me, you could just keep the papers and grade or record the results as well.

      Delete