In my own personal effort to #ExpandMTBoS, I'm starting a new category of blog posts called 'How To' so I can share the strategies behind the resource. I hope new and veteran teachers alike can find something useful. Click on the tag to the right for more posts!
Questions that drive learning don't come from a list, they arise in response to student contributions.
But listing is my jam and I have to start somewhere!
Uncover Student Thinking
- What do you notice?
- What do you wonder?
- What do you see?
- What evidence do you have?
- What is common?
- What relationship do they have?
- Can you convince me that...?
- Can you clarify...?
- What is the best way to graph this?
- Which number would you change to change the graph the most?
- Does it make sense?
- If someone else sits down and looks at your work, will they be able to understand it?
- Did you go back into the context?
- Where is the proof?
- Can you show your thinking another way?
- What equation could you write that would represent your work?
- What does _____ have to do with ____?
- How are ____ and ____ alike? Different?
- What makes you say that?
- How did you get your answer to number,,,?
- What should you be doing right now?
- What should you be working on?
- Is this working?
- What can we do better tomorrow?
- What did we like about the lesson?
- If there was one component to keep from this lesson, what would it be?
- If we could change something in the lesson, what would it be?
- Where could we have done better?
- How do you think you’ve been doing in class?
- What areas do you think need improvement?
- Why do you think that?
- How has your homework been going?
- Can you explain why you haven’t been doing it?
- What about class time—can you show your mom your notes?
- I see very few notes—would you tell us what’s happening with that?
- How is all of this affecting your grades?
- What do you think will happen if your grades don’t improve?
- What needs to change in order for you to do better?
- How can your teachers help you be more successful?
- How can mom and dad help?
- What is our plan moving forward, starting today, to help you improve?
- What can I do to make this lesson more powerful?
- How am I going to engage my students?
- What am I missing?
- How can I make this better?