2.22.2015

Algebra 2 Unit 3: Factoring

Unit 3: Factoring

I want to say from the beginning that I did not do a good job of including the GCF in these pages. We wrote down examples using the GCF but we didn't make it plain in our steps. So, that's an edit for next year.


pg 25-26 X-Factor is what I call factoring x^2 + bx + c and this is taken directly from Sarah Hagan.



pg 27-28 Factoring ax^2 + bx + c was introduced to me this year as slide, divide, bottoms up. This page again stolen from Sarah Hagan.



pg 29-30 For difference of two squares I used a discovery type lesson I had and turned it into an INB page. Students have to analyze the two columns to figure out what makes a problem the difference of two squares then circle the ones that apply. And the RHP, from Sarah Hagan.



pg 31-32 I mimiced the lesson before and went for a discovery type approach again with perfect square trinomials. As expected, I had to heavily lead them into noticing the second step about the middle term. The RHP lists the steps and worked out examples.


To end this unit I tried a sorting activity where students had to sort the problems into the different types and then factor. Click here to read the post.

Here are the files:




No comments:

Post a Comment