8.12.2015

2015-2016 New Year's Resolutions


I wrote earlier in my #TMC15 Takeaways post about new things I plan to do in the classroom this year so this is leaning more toward the personal side of teaching.


  • I will practice better self-care.
    • I looked angry a lot last year and had little patience because I did not have good sleeping habits. Students shouldn't have to deal with my bad choices.
    • Drink more water. I'm not letting myself leave school until I've emptied my 60 ounce container.
    • Keep exercising. I've been using the Swork It App and the FitBit app to workout, walk, and count calories. I need to feel strong and healthy and model that for students.
    • I will better balance my life so that school doesn't take over all of my emotions.
    • I will work on looking happier and interacting with students in more positive ways- like 100% high-fiving!
  • I will practice integrating more technology when needed.
    • Last year I printed out Plickers for every students and we NEVER used them all year long. This year I plan to use them and Kahoot within the first week as well as continuing to use Remind and Instagram.
  • I will practice my mantra of 'letting my pile of good things grow'.
    • I will celebrate and acknowledge one good thing with my students on a regular basis.
    • I will celebrate and acknowledge my one good thing by blogging.
  • I will forgive myself for not being a perfect teacher.
    • I invest 100% of myself, my time, and my talents. Over time, good things will come from that and grow and grow. I cannot blame myself for not already having 30 years of experience.
    • My value as a teacher is based on the impact I have on student lives, not their PARCC and ACT scores.
  • I will keep learning.
    • I will keep asking math questions that I don't know the answers to.
    • I will keep reading and learning about my craft.
    • I will not let teaching absorb so much of me that I push learning off until the summer.
  • I will give myself permission to mess up.
    • No one will die if I make a bad decision.
    • I will value my mistakes and the mistakes of others as a step toward learning.
  • I will focus on growth over perfection.
    • Did I leave my students, my classroom, and my school better than I found them?
    • Did try new things?
    • Did I fix any previous problems?
    • Progress is progress, no matter how small.

I will be more awesome!


4 comments:

  1. Love your list of resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is an incredible list and probably what most teachers aspire to. Teaching is such a demanding job and it is very easy to get caught up in the day to day tasks and it can often feel like you're drowning in paperwork. However by focusing on positives teaching can be so rewarding. Good luck with sticking to the resolutions.

    ReplyDelete