10.02.2011

Naming Basic Geometry Terms Pt II

I previously posted about my students coming up with the idea to do a hands-on geometry activity with pipe cleaners, fuzzy balls, construction paper, and letters to review points, lines planes, and such. Each student had their own packet. They used a piece of construction paper for their plane.

This Powerpoint was posted up front, which gave them directions on something to create. This relied heavily on their ability to read and understand the terms and labels posted. See example.

PowerPoint slide:

Arrangement:



As they arranged, I walked around and checked students' work but I did choose to create a mock example on the following Powerpoint slide. This way, if I did overlook some students, they were still able to self-assess and gauge their own understanding. This also created good opportunities for students to tell how they did it differently and discuss different ways of getting the right answer.

I thought this was a worthwhile activity and I would like to do more things like this, I'm not sure how much I believe in learning styles, but I do believe in connecting ideas with students in as many ways as possible.

As I mentioned before, what I am most proud of is that my students came up with the idea, put the supplies together, participated, and then as a class we reflected and discussed the results. This has been the best and most realistic example of team work and collaboration that we have accomplished yet.

Yay.

2 comments:

  1. I'm probably missing something from the photograph, but the way line m and line BA are laid out right now, they look coplanar to me.

    Is line m sticking out from the floor? Since the "paper plane" goes on forever, my eyes are telling me that m is on the same plane.

    What am I missing?

    Other than that, I love the fuzzy wires and manipulatives idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, I should have explained better. The paper is plane H and the desk was a separate plane. It probably seems confusing but it was the only way I could think of to practice coplanar and not coplanar. It seemed to make sense to the students, so hopefully I didn't mess them up to bad. :)

    ReplyDelete